Income Taxes


Multiple Sources of Income

Although you have retired and may be done with work, you are not yet done with taxes. You may have gone from one source of income while working to several now that you are retired. In addition to your LAPP pension, you might have payments from Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Old Age Security (OAS) and other retirement investment income. You might even return to work.

You can put your calculator away; taxes are already deducted from the monthly pension payment you receive. The income tax we deduct varies based on government requirements and what information you have provided, especially the Canadian province, territory, or country in which you reside. You can review the amount of tax deducted by logging in to Your Pension Profile. You can read more below on how it is calculated.


How Much Tax is Deducted?

When calculating your tax deductions, we assume that your only source of income is your LAPP pension and any other pensions paid by Alberta Pensions Services Corporation (APS), LAPP's pension benefit administration service provider. We do not know what your other sources of income might be, and the tax withheld is based only on your pension income, and other income might push you into a new level.

We also assume that you qualify for the Basic Personal Exemption if you live in Canada, unless you tell us otherwise by submitting a form from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Government tax rates can change from time to time, and you can review the amount of tax deducted from your pension on Your Pension Profile.

If you have any questions, we recommend you speak to an accountant, tax preparer, or CRA.


If You Live or Intend to Live Outside of Canada

If you move out of province or country, please update your information via Your Pension Profile, send us a message via Secure Messages or use one of the other ways to contact us as soon as you can, so your provincial or out-of-country tax rate can be adjusted if needed.

read more

It is important to know that many countries have tax agreements with the Government of Canada, which means your income may be taxed at a lower rate. You can find a listing of these agreements and tax rates on the Government of Canada's Benefits for Canadians Living Abroad page. If the country you are moving to or live in does not have a tax treaty with Canada, your LAPP pension will be taxed at a standard 25% rate.


Your T4A

We will mail your T4A tax slip for any pensions you receive from the pensions APS administers. These will be sent to you every year by the end of February. The T4A you receive will be a summary of income from the pension plan(s) and is used when you file your taxes every year. If you need a duplicate, you can access it by logging in to Your Pension Profile.


Changing the Amount of Tax Deducted

Additional Taxes Deducted
If you have income from other sources, such as government pensions or working during retirement, you may request that additional tax is taken off your LAPP pension payment to avoid owing at tax time. If you want to increase the tax deducted from your pension, contact us.

I'm receiving a large refund from the government at tax time. Can you deduct less tax from my pension?

read more

If you receive a large refund, we may be deducting too much tax. We can reduce the amount deducted if you qualify for additional and eligible tax credits. You might be able to apply for tax credits if you become disabled, turn age 65, support certain dependents, or go back to school.

If you wish to claim additional exemptions, or no exemptions, complete the federal TD1 and the TD1 forms for the Canadian province you live in and submit them to us through Secure Messages, mail or fax. New forms can be submitted any time you need to change exemptions. However, a new form must be completed no later than seven days after there is a change in your entitlements to federal, provincial or territorial personal tax credit amounts.

You can also ask the CRA for permission to reduce the amount of income tax withheld from your pension for deductions and tax credits that you cannot claim on the TD1. These include large charitable donations, support payments required under a divorce or separation agreement, childcare expenses, and allowable RRSP room (possibly carried forward from your working years).

In order to request a reduction, you must complete the T1213 form. If the CRA approves your request, you will receive a written authorization to deduct less tax, which you can then send to us through Secure Messages or by using one of the other ways to contact us.